So, Why Worry About Market Research?
continued from Qualitative Market Research
Early, up-front Market Research is essential to successful New Product Development efforts. Understanding your customers’ needs will direct and streamline both technology and market developments to ensure product benefits are designed for the target market. Finally, spending some upfront time talking to your customer, and your customers’ customer, may save your firm millions of dollars – a story that Sony wishes could be retold for Betamax.
Download a pdf copy of this paper here.
Back to the beginning of this article…We Already Know Our Customers (Introduction)
1. Fasoldt, Al. How Sony Killed Betamax. technofile. [Online] 1988. [Cited: April 19, 2010.] http://www.technofileonline.com/texts/howbetadied.htm.
2. Lafley, A.G. and Charan, Ram. The Game-Changer: How You Can Drive Revenue and Profit Growth with Innovation. NY : Random House, 2008.
3. Goldberg, David E. The Entrepreneurial Engineer. Hoboken (NJ) : John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
4. Cooper, Robert G. Winning at New Products, 3rd ed. Cambridge : Perseus, 2001.
5. Crawford, C Merle. New Products Management. 4th ed. Burr Ridge, IL : Irwin, 1994.
6. Trends and Drivers of Success in NPD Practices: Results of the 2003 PDMA Best Practices Study. Barczak, Gloria, Griffin, Abbie and Kahn, Kenneth B. 2009, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 26, pp. 3-23.
7. What Does Your Most Important Customer Want? Goodrich, Nina and Aiman-Smith, Lynda. March-April 2007, Research Technology Managemetn, pp. 26-35.
8. Griffin, Abbie. Obtaining Customer Needs forProduct Developmeny. [ed.] Kenneth B Kahn, George Castellion and Abbie Griffin. The PDMA Handbook of New Product Development. 2nd ed. New York : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005, Chapter 14, pp. 211-227.
9. Upgrade Your New Product Machine. Adams, Dan and Hublikar, Sudhir. Industrial Research Institute, Inc., March-April 2010, Research Technology Management, pp. 55-67.
10. Conley, Chris V. Contextual Research for New Product Development. [ed.] Kenneth B Kahn, George Castellion and Abbie Griffin. The PDMA Handbook of New Product Development. 2nd ed. New York : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005, pp. 228-248.
11. Boike, Douglas G, Bonifant, Ben and Siesfeld, Tony. Market Analysis and Segmentation for New Products. [ed.] Kenneth B Kahn, George Castellion and Abbie Griffin. The PDMA Handbook for New Product Development. 2nd ed. New York : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005, pp. 191-210.
12. Kotler, Philip and Keller, Kevin Lane. Marketing Management. 12th ed. Upper Saddle River : Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006.
13. Wheelwright, Steven C and Clark, Kim B. Revolutionizing Product Development: Quantum Leaps in Speed, Efficiency, and Quality. New York : The Free Press, 1992.
14. What Leading Companies are Doing to Reinvent their NPD Processes. Cooper, Robert G. September 2008, Visions Magazine, pp. 6-10.
15. Olson, David W. Market Testing and Postlaunch Evaluation for Consumer Goods. [ed.] Kenneth B Kahn, George Castellion and Abbie Griffin. The PDMA Handbook of New Product Development. Second Edition. Hoboken : John Wiley & Sons, 2005, 32, pp. 479-496.
image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
© 2010-2011 Global NP Solutions, LLC